It was an incredible Derby, and the top three continue on for the second leg of the Triple Crown. There is only an 8 horse field. This in horse racing at it’s best. The following is my picks in order.
- AMERICAN PHAROAH - He has done everything asked of him. He is the rare athlete that makes it look effortless – he floats across the Track. Perfection! The shorter race helps his pace setting racing style. There is a chance for rain and he showed in the Arkansas Derby a sloppy Track is no problem. http://derbymillion.com/#4863E1
- DORTMUND – I still love this big beauty. The shorter race should help – he seemed to tired at the end at the Derby. I expect he will be right there at this distance.
- FIRING LINE – Such a nice horse – he fought hard in the stretch to win and never gave up. Lots of heart – you have to love that. Any other year he would be a superstar but with the talent this year he was “just beat” in a number of races. Of course he has not been afraid to run with the best and he was competitive every time he ran. I expect him in the thick of things at the finish.
- DANZIG MOON – Closed for a close 5th in the Derby, a much improved colt.
- DIVING ROD- Did not race in the Derby – Fast front running style on a short race should suit him well.
- MR. Z- Was caught in the pack at the Derby – solid
- BODHIISATTVA –Speedster but I don’t think he run with the top 3.
- TALE OF VERVE- He will need a much improved effort to be in the money at the finish line. But has a top jockey Rosario.